Wednesday, March 1

MORE RANTING ABOUT SEXIST ADS

Ah, one of my "favourite" buffalo jeans ads, which was to be seen from my apartment building in Canada.

I was reminded of this in a discussion with seawitch in the Dewars post below.

As I said in my comment, this ad was on a huge banner, in a part of town where kids were walking by every two minutes.

Does the girl in the ad look old enough to you to be sitting like that? I think she looks like she's waiting to be raped - her body language/ posture is so vulnerable - not have consentual sex with someone. Actually it looks like someone just picked her up and threw her in the corner, smashing her head on the wall - maybe hence the dazed look.

It's by far not the worst of the ones they had up, either - some of the girls in the others were far younger looking.

Is it sexy? Maybe. Did it sell jeans? Probably, to women who sadly want to look like that. Does that make it appropriate??? For little girls to see and probably emulate???

I found the picture on this site, on media literacy which I haven't checked out yet, but at first glance it seems pretty informative and relevant to the discussion we've been having about media awareness.

4 comments:

dave said...

fuck. i kinda miss NDG. i miss its quietness, its anonymity. i miss the way things were at the beginning of me living there. it was chill - a really easy reintegration process for me. things went awry, of course, but still, we had some good times in that there apartment...

kassandra said...

What a thing to bring on the onset of nostalgia! Damn you Buffalo jeans, you've left your mark after all!!!

Anonymous said...

the Buffalo ads still run on that same billboard. whoever used to cover them in paint must have moved away, becuase they don't do it anymore... i still find them as offensive as ever and i have to look at them EVERY DAY... right above the stinky KFC, that is truly the trashiest corner of montreal!!! and yes, though i still live here, i am still nostalgic about the old days... sometimes i can see you (kass) here, sitting in the living room... :( ahhh... if only...

BallAndDust said...

On one hand, such ads certainly appeal to my Neanderthal side (hey, we all drag our knuckles on the ground from time to time, its how often that differentiates us).

In all seriousness, the fundamental problem with these ads is how it affects the emotional development of children. Though I am not a parent, I'm "theio" for a number of my friend's kids so I am concerned how such images affect both my "nieces" and "nephews". Teaching little girls that they are first judged by their looks is certainly not going to help them become confident, well-adjusted women. Also, teaching little boys that women are sex objects whose purpose is to satisfy male sexual urges doesn't exactly give them a healthy view towards women.

I remember watching a movie with my yiayia 25 years ago (I'm 35) where they showed the side of a woman's breast. "Tst, tst, tst. Ti vlepoune ta paidia!" If she were alive today....

Kosta