Saturday, April 1

JUST ANOTHER SATURDAY

Well, another Saturday has passed over a bottle of ouzo - only today it was really SUMMERY outside, and thus a million times better than last. (For those of you reading this from Montreal and going on about how nice the weather is there, I'll have you know it was WELL into the 20's today. Ahhh.) I got a real kick from watching all the tourists who've suddenly invaded our city. There I am, still wearing a jacket etc., and they're wandering around the city (always with a really lost/helpless expression) sporting tank tops, sunhats and sunburns. OK, the weather's been nice, but surely not hot enough for sunburns??!!??
Anyway I discovered two really nice places to go out. One was called GLIKI - somewhere in some not-crowded backstreet of plaka, a kind of funky but non pretentious mezedopoleio. Great food, great atmosphera, a little of the beaten path. Perfect. Sorry I can't tell you all where it is cause those twisty Plaka streets really throw me for a loop and I'll be hard-pressed to find it again on my own. Then we went to a little bar in Exharia, and the drinks and conversation continued... till now.
The only problem with these afternoon drinking sessions is that I really don't have the energy to then go out at night. The fact that I'm not nineteen is starting to show, I think, at least internally. So instead I'm sitting here listening to all this goth/techno/dance music my little brother dumped on my computer off his portable hard drive, getting a real kick out of it. Currently playing song has the lyric "clone your lover". Ummm yeah. What can I say, it reminds me of my youth. Nothing like a bit of Covenant blasting through your headphones to clear the ouzo haze. Maybe I will go out after all!

4 comments:

Loop said...

Gliki? where is that ? plaka is close to my home... i really enjoy walking plaka on sundays .....

betabug said...

"Clone your lover"? That would be from Zeromancer, a band from Germany. I downloaded two albums of them from emusic.com and like them a lot. Funny to find a reference to that :-)

kassandra said...

Yup, Zeromancer, that was the band... Not usually the kind of stuff I listen to anymore, but every now and then I get a kind of... craving for it. Strange. I have to say I was rather relieved a while back when Melusina admitted that she likes Rammstein, disturbing video notwhithstanding. Perhaps there's an inner gothic/industrial fan in all of us :)

betabug said...

Yeah, the Rammstein phenomenon. Interesting enough, Rammstein is really big in Greece (which just reminded me of the 80s song "Big in Japan"). It's definitely much bigger here than in Germany. Lots of young people here know Rammstein as the only German band (next to the Scorpions which are probably all but forgotten in Germany).

I once drove back from Larissa with a guy who had only and only Rammstein in the CD player all of the way. Made for an interesting night drive. He was also asking me for translations of the lyrics. Translating those lyrics is impossible, they are mostly disconnected words and plays-with-words.

That aside, stuff like Zeromancer, the Matrix Soundtrack, even Rage Against The Machine work pretty well for me while programming.