Monday, May 29

A CASE OF MISTAKEN IDENTITY

On Saturday night I went over to my cousin's house to celebrate her having gotten a new job. (Here's hoping this one is better than the last few!) I passed through Syntagma to get there, where they're selling lovely plants and flowers at the moment (and I heard that sometime in the next few days they'll be giving them away free!!! Can it be true? I must get myself down there to check it out as I'm busy filling up my balcony to capacity with greenery at the moment, and a few free plants wouldn't hurt.)
Anyway, I picked up a couple of pots of pretty flowers for her as she'd been saying that she'd like to get a few; her one plant, a jasmine given to her by her grandmother, hadn't fared too well over the winter.

When she saw the plants, she continued telling me her jasmine saga: it being pretty much dead, she had cut it back down to soil level in the hopes that it would grow again. And sure enough, something had sprouted - but to the side, not out of the main stem. However, something wasn't right with the newly growing jasmine plant... she wasn't sure what, but she couldn't get it to wrap around the trellis, and it didn't have many leaves. Her sister had even come over to have a look, and had proclaimed that the jasmine would be fine, but my cousin wasn't so sure.
Intrigued, I went out on the balcony to have a look.
"But... where is the jasmine?" I asked.
"Right there," my cousin replied, pointing to the long green stalks coming out of the pot and looking at me as though I was blind.
I walked over for a closer look... already trying to hold back my laughter.
"See," she said. "Here's the old stem, and this is the new growth which has come up. But it just won't stick to the trellis. Can you tell why?"

"Well," I replied. "It could be because what you have growing here is a very fine specimen of GRASS, with some clover thrown in for good measure!" Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the so-called jasmine was in fact some very long, wild grass - the kind with the feathery tufts on top. And my cousin was complaining of allergies... wonder why!
Anyway, after much mirth on my part, and embarassment on hers, the death of the jasmine was mourned over a bottle of wine.
Bad luck for the grass, which had been enjoying frequent watering, love and attention, and will now be promptly uprooted!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

zardoz says :

jasmine , dont need direct sunlight
some types. and have a feverent
famine for more fertilizer than they can handle,, so let em have it.

=z=

kassandra said...

Thanks for the gardening advice - I am just getting started so any is welcome! 3/4 of my plants are thriving, but the rest aren't doing so well for some reason I can't fathom (there is a surprising lack of useful info on the net re: unhealthy plants. Perhaps they want them to die so you'll have to buy new ones) But anyway, I just got my own jasmine and, never fear, I'll "let em have it" and hopefully it will be among the thriving ones.
Ha ha now you've gotten yourself into it: do you by any chance know whether, to get bougeanvillea and jasmine to actually grow up the trellis, you need to tie the branches onto it at first? Or will it naturally wrap itself around?
Better watch out or this will turn into a gardening page...

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:
....bougeanvillea needs tying,at the start and the end .
and jasmine just a little ,so it will fill up just right,,

sorry for being so late ,, didnt see
last weeks very hectic.
======zardoz=======

aine said...

kalispera,i,m Virginia from Spain,I don,t know so much english and greek,I,m sorry because i would like know you.I like Haris Alexiou,Arvanitaki...etc.....bye.

aine said...

MI MAIL IS aine555@hotmail.com

my blog is http://aine8.blogspot.com