Thursday, June 1

MY SOUL, MY SOUL FOR A HOT SHOWER

I am currently sitting here killing time while waiting for four pots of water on the stove and my kettle to boil.
Why?
Because my thermosifono has been broken for three days now and I simply CANNOT muster the courage to take YET ANOTHER freezing shower.

It was OK the first day, when it was a really hot sweaty night.
The second day I just kind of splashed some water around and called it a shower.
Today I'm seriously wondering if those people who say cold showers are good for your health are off their rockers. Do they really mean ICY cold? Or just lukewarm?
So I've run a shallow bath with cold water, and am dumping the hot water in, one pot at a time.
This might take a while. I started with one pot and the kettle... It didn't really seem to take the icy edge of at all... So now I'm waiting with all burners going full throttle...
Next thing you know the fuse will blow.

Why haven't I called a plumber?
BECAUSE MY BOYFRIEND THINKS HE CAN FIX IT HIMSELF.
What a cliche.
OK he can actually probably do it, being pretty handy, but he's currently setting up and running two shows at the theatre, and has hardly been home the last few days... so too bad for the bloody boiler.
He did call his electrician friend for advice, who asked if the little light is blinking.
Apparently not. Apparently this means that it's the thermostat that is broken. Apparently the thermostat should be really easy to replace.

Time will tell...

The leaking pipe we had a month ago was also apparently easy to fix, but apparently not so judging by the amount of grunting and swearing coming from the vicinity of the bathroom while he was fixing it.

I suppose I should be grateful to have a boyfriend who is willing and able under normal circumstances to do these things.

But right now I just want to take a HOT SHOWER.

***

UPDATE: 5 pot and 3 kettle-fulls later, and the 1/3 of the way full bath was warm... just barely.
I must conclude that this is an interesting scientific experiment exhibiting the natural tendencies of cold water to REPEL HEAT.

And if you don't approve of my scientific method, TRY IT YOURSELF! And see what conclusions you draw. Brrr.

7 comments:

betabug said...

Hmm, I halfway remember a quote, reportedly by Ronald Reagan (ugh), that goes something like: "Everyone who takes cold showers in the morning is lying everywhere else too." Or something like that, can't find it on the net right now.

Have been living for more than a month without hot water in the last flat, because right before we moved out the landlady didn't want to pay for a replacement thermosifonas. Thank god there was hot water at my girlfriends place. But I can commiserate with you!

Emily said...

Ugh, that sucks! At least it's summer.
You just reminded me of the night before my college graduation, when my shower drain suddenly overflowed with copious amounts of grey crud and water. My roomate's boyfriend tried to fix it all night, to no avail. I woke up the next morning and found that I had no shower, and commencement in a few hours. I panicked. This panicking was of course unneccesary, because I went and showered in my boyfriend's dorm. Mostly I think I was panicking because I was graduating, which was scary.
Those landlords of ours. I still blame them. They used to vaccum at five am and fight about which brand of paper towels to buy.
Anyway, good luck with your drain!

Flubberwinkle said...

I can top your misery.

The area I live in is noted for its municipality's liberal "shutting the water off at a whim". I'm not kidding. Every time we call to complain, the answer is always the same: "There's a problem lady. Be patient". No, duh, sherlock.

Ten years ago when we first settled it was a very VERY frequent thing, so frequent in fact that we kept stored tapwater in bottles for toilet needs and bottled water for drinking. One of those times, the water started trickling to a minimum without warning while my head was covered in lathered shampoo. I had to rinse out my head and everything below it with cold water from the refrigerator. And. This. Was. In. Winter. Talk about your tingling sensation...

kassandra said...

Hmmmm it seems we've all had our shower-related trials and tribulations. Thank you all for your commiseration. So far, I must admit that flubberwinkle's experience tops the list. Can anyone surpass her?

btw Flubberwinkle you reminded me of when I was a kid, and staying on Lesvos, most often when there was a power failure (in those years a weekly occurence)the water would for some reason shut down shortly thereafter and stay off for lengthy periods of time. So every time the lights so much as flickered we would frantically start filling bottles and buckets of every description to carry us through the dry spell. However, being a kid I thought it was all a big adventure and thoroughly enjoyed these interruptions of routine. However, I suspect my dad and stepmom have some stories to top even yours! It sounds like your municipality is stuck in the 80's - my sympathies!

betabug said...

"most often when there was a power failure (in those years a weekly occurence)the water would for some reason shut down shortly thereafter"

The water is pumped up somewhere, and the pump is operated on electricity. There is a reservoir, so the water won't shut down immediately, but the reservoir is only so big... common theme on many islands.

kassandra said...

Uh, duh! :P The "for some reason" was meant as sarcasm - didn't come across too well. As in - for some reason Lesvos (a BIG island, not a small one) didn't have a generator to back up the pump. For some reason they still have one of the oldest and most polluting (and dangerous) power plants in all of Greece, which doesn't generate nearly enough power for the whole island (which means whenever there's a cold snap and everyone has the electric heaters on, they start intentionally turning off the power for lengths of time each day. IN THE MIDDLE OF A COLD SNAP. And, for some reason they're not jumping on the great, environmentally friendly energy alternatives Greenpeace has provided them with.
Sorry, a bit pissed off regarding the whole subject!

betabug said...

"for some reason they're not jumping on the great, environmentally friendly energy alternatives Greenpeace has provided them with"

That's sad. On Limnos at least someone had the idea to put up some wind generators. Which is a smart idea on an island that has so much wind it used to be called "Anemoisa" (wind island) in ancient times.

I once took an excursion through the mountaneous north west corner of Limnos and was very excited to see those wind generators. I think wind energy is a really cool concept, but maybe I'm too geeky anyway :-)

And yes, sarcasm sometimes is hard to spot in written communications. But please keep on writing, I really like to read your stuff.